Using the Export Portal you can create and order a Certificate of Origin or a Declaration of Origin (often abbreviated to C/O or CO or DOO) in 1-2 minutes. You can try the Export Portal for free for 30 days and order your Certificate of Origin here:
Watch video guide or follow our step-by-step guide:
FAQ about certificates of origin
What is a certificate of origin?
A certificate of origin identifies the origin of goods being exported and is issued by a Chamber of Commerce. The document is required by customs in the receiving country in order to determine tariff rates and the origin of the goods. The certificate of origin contains information regarding the product, its destination, and the country of export.
When does a certificate of origin apply?
A certificate of origin must be produced every time goods are shipped internationally. The form is required by many treaty agreements for cross-border trade. And the form is important because it will help determine whether certain goods are eligible for import or whether goods, on the contrary, are subject to duties.
Source: Chamber International
Step-by-Step guide to filling out our Certificate of Origin form
Step 1: Pick the Shipment in Need of the Certificate
Before creating a Certificate of Origin: when you create the certificate, you first need to have created the shipment-item and booked transport with the carrier in the Export Portal.
Here you can see an overview of all your shipments.
- Choose the shipment that needs a Certificate of Origin and click “Create documents” – the second icon from the left.
- Click “Certificate of Origin”
Step 2: Make Sure All Information in the Form is Filled Out Correctly
All information pertaining to the creation of the certificate will automatically be retrieved from the pre-existing shipment-item. You are then able to:
- Edit the information by clicking on the relevant field
- Edit the shipment list by clicking “Add goods item”
Step 4: Choose Your Desired Issuing Format
- Choose the Chamber of Commerce you wish to send your Certificate of Origin-application by clicking “Endorser”
- Decide whether you want to receive your certificate via “Shipping”, “Collect” or “Digital”
- If you pick the digital solution, the Certificate of Origin will be approved and digitally signed by the chosen Chamber of Commerce within 10 to 15 minutes.
Step 5: Preview, Save, Print or Make Changes in the Format
When you’re sure all the entered information is correct, you have the five following options before you click “Send”:
- Click “Decimals” to change the number of decimals shown in the certificate. You can also change the date-format if you have any specific requirements
- Click “Preview” to make sure your Certificate of Origin is filled out and formatted correctly before it’s saved
- Click “Print” to send your application to a printing service, assuming your company has this setup. If not, it’s possible to print the document yourself.
- Click “Save” to save your certificate for a later date
- Click “Save & Close” to save the certificate and return to the overview
- Lastly, click “Send” in the lower-left corner and your Certificate of Origin-application will be sent to the appropriate Chamber of Commerc
Step 6: Track the process of approval for your Certificate of Origin
Once you’ve sent your application, you can track the process of approval by doing the following:
- Click the second icon from the right in the right-hand corner of the certification-item
- Keep an eye on the status of your current Certificate of Origin. In the screenshot above, its current status is “Open”
- If you’ve sent a digital application to the appropriate Chamber of Commerce, the signed and approved Certificate of Origin will be attached here